We are all guilty of bad habits that we continue to do because, well they’re habits. What we may not realize is that some of these common habits can be damaging to our skin. To help you understand how your daily routine is affecting your skin health, we put together a list of 10 surprising activities that could ruin your skin:
· Swimming – In the height of summer, nothing feels better than a refreshing dip in the pool. Unfortunately, chlorine can be damaging to the skin. Even after a shower, chlorine can cling to skin and react with topical medications, cleansers and lotions. Avoid this pitfall to summer’s favorite activity by using an extra sudsy soap after swimming.
· Taking long, hot showers – Taking long, hot showers is a refreshing way to relax, especially after a busy day. But, this steamy retreat can also cause the outermost layer of the epidermis to strip away, making your skin scaly and dry. Keep your showers warm enough to be comfortable, and allow for only short bursts of steaming hot water.
· Testing too many products – Trying new skin products can be dangerous if you have sensitive skin or unknown allergies. Always test new cleansers, cosmetics and lotions on a small patch of skin, such as on the arm. Avoid testing products on the face until you are sure the products are safe for your skin.
· Talking on the phone – Chatting for hours on the phone can cause breakouts and rashes along the jawline and cheek. Use a speaker phone when available and use antibacterial wipes often to keep your phone and skin clean!
· Getting hair products on your face – Hair products can clog pores and cause breakouts. Use a clean towel and cover your face to protect skin when applying hair sprays. Wearing a sweatband when working out will prevent products from dripping onto your face as you sweat.
· Squinting your eyes – Squinting can lead to fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Wearing outdated contacts and glasses will cause you to squint more often, so be sure to avoid unnecessary aging by keeping your eyewear updated.
· Waxing too often – If you love to stay hairless, know that too much waxing can result in raw skin and increased bumps. Take at least a three-week break to let your skin regenerate.
· Exfoliating too often – Body scrub lovers beware. Exfoliating too much can strip the skin of its necessary oils needed to maintain a natural glow. Keep your exfoliating ritual to only once a week for best results.
· Sitting in the sauna – Saunas are wonderful for pre/post workout downtime. What most people don’t know is that hanging out in the sauna for too long will cause sagging overtime. Keep your sauna and steam room usage to a minimum.
· Cooling off in air conditioning – While we like to crank up the air conditioning during these hot, humid summer months, it can be damaging to the skin. Air conditioning strips the air of the humidity and moisture your skin needs to look and feel its best. Bump up the temperature on your air conditioner and get fresh air as often as possible to help your skin retain moisture.
Making a few small changes in your daily routines can give your skin the healthy glow you desire. For more information about the best regimen for you, talk with one of our skin care experts at Greenville Dermatology. To schedule a consultation or annual skin screening, call (864) 242-5872 today.